But why are Headshots expensive?

Good Question!

First off, they’re not, when you think in terms of value, instead of cost. What does expensive mean? It’s a relative term – is $1,000 expensive? For a loaf of bread it’s crazy expensive, but for a new Porsche it’s super cheap. So what’s the difference? It’s all about the value of what you’re getting compared to the price.

So what is the value of the Headshots I shoot? We’ve already discussed the importance of a good headshot in general terms. Go back and read that if you need to.

So here’s why mine cost what they do…
1.    The Photos are really good!
2.    I specialize in Headshots. I’m not a Wedding Photographer, nor am I a Product Photographer. Ditto for not being a Sports Photographer, or a Baby Photographer. You get the picture. Nothing wrong with those things, in fact, those Photographers often charge far more than my meager rates. I do one thing, and I think I do it well.
3.    It’s me shooting the photos – not an employee! I bring a lot of experience to the table, having been in the Business of Photography (more on this later) for almost 30 years. I’m still here, so I must have a clue about what I’m doing. You have questions, I have answers.
4.    I don’t shoot in my living room, or meet clients in a park. I actually did that for a while, but I realized that made a few people uncomfortable, and it wasn't Professional. I have a office/studio, centrally located in Downtown Orlando where I can shoot indoors or outdoors in a variety of locations and I don’t have to wonder if I forgot to clean the litter box.
5.    Photo equipment, Computer equipment, Software, and other necessary stuff is not cheap. As a Pro, I have backups, and in some cases, backups to the backups. I heard about a guy that actually forgot batteries for his regular camera and tried to shoot headshots with his point & shoot, and then still charged his regular fee. SMDH…
6.    I treat Headshots as a real business, not just a hobby. A legitimate business has costs besides the equipment – rent, licensing, insurance, etc., and more importantly, it must make a profit so I can continue to offer Headshots in the future.
7.    With all that said, prices have to be competitive in the market we’re in. It’s great that Actors will pay $1,000 for a headshot in New York, and $600 in L.A., but his is still Orlando, and the market won’t bear those prices.


A lot of thought goes into what to charge. I hope this helps.

Labels: , , , , , ,